Deposit, Additional Fees, Cancellation & Refund Policies
Level 1: The Level 1 program requires a $500 deposit to ensure placement; $175 of this deposit is non-refundable. There is a $75 non-refundable application processing fee for our Level 1 Training Program. A $50 equipment fee is included in the Level 1 tuition, which covers the Movement Ritual book by Anna Halprin, oil pastels, paper pad and portfolio. If you withdraw from the program after you have received your supplies, the supply fee is not refundable unless you return the equipment.
Level 2: The Level 2 program requires a $500 deposit to ensure placement; $250 of this deposit is non-refundable.
Level 3: The Level 3 online training requires a $150 non-refundable deposit to ensure placement.
Our refund policy is mandated by the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education. Tuition will be refunded on a pro-rated basis. There will be no refunds after the student attends 60% of the program. We reserve the right to increase tuition fees from year to year without prior written notice. Please contact the Tamalpa office if you have questions regarding tuition fees.
If Tamalpa Institute has to cancel a training program, due to unforeseen circumstances, including low enrollment, notice will be provided at least 3 weeks in advance of the program start date and a full refund of tuition paid by student will be issued.
Effective January 1, 2015 no fees are collected for the Student Tuition Recovery Fund (STRF) until further notice. As of January 1, 2013, California residents had been required to pay an additional $0.50 per thousand dollars of tuition towards the Student Tuition Recovery Fund for our Level 1, Level 2 & Level 3 trainings (see below).
All fees reflect cash discount of 6%, credit card users must pay 6% more than the stated fees.
A $15 fee will be charged for wire bank transfers and there is a 4% service fee for payments through PayPal.
Annual Report, Fact Sheets, Catalog, Right to Cancel, Enrollment Agreements
- To download Tamalpa Institute's most recent annual report submitted to the Bureau of Private Postsecondary Education click here
- To download our Level 1 Performance Fact Sheet click here
- To download our Level 2 Performance Fact Sheet click here
- To download our Level 3 Performance Fact Sheet click here
- To download our Level 1, Level 2 & Level 3 Catalog click here
- To download our Student's Right to Cancel click here
- To download our Enrollment Agreements for Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3 click here
Notice of Students Rights
1. The student has the right to cancel the enrollment agreement and obtain a refund of charges paid through attendance at the first class session or the seventh day after enrollment, whichever is later. Cancellation shall occur when student gives written notice of cancellation to: Director, Tamalpa Institute, 734 A Stree, San Rafael, CA 94901. You can do this by mail, hand delivery, or email. The written notice of cancellation, if sent by mail, is effective when deposited in themail properly addressed iwth posteage prepaid. Read theCancellation Policy in your School Catalog or Enrollment Agreement for a full explanation of your cancellation rights and responsibilities. If you have lost your School Catalog or Enrollment Agreement copy, ask the school for a copy.
2. After the end of the cancellation period, you also have the right to stop school at any time, and you have the right to receive a refund for the part of the course not taken. Your refund rights are described on your Enrollment Agreement. If you have lost your Enrollment Agreement, please ask the school for acopy and the description of the refund policy.
3. If the school closes before you graduate, you may be entitled to a refund. Contact the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education at the address and telephone number printed below for information:
Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (BPPE)
2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Suite 400
Sacramento, CA 95833
Phone number: 916.431-6959
Toll-free number: 888.370.7589
Fax number: 916.263.1897
4. If you have any complaints, questions, or problems which you can not work out with the school, write or call the BPPE at the above address and phone number.
Student Tuition Recovery Fund*
(a) The fund exists to relieve or mitigate economic losses suffered by a student in an educational program as defined in section 94837 of the Code at a qualifying institution, who is or was a California resident or was enrolled in a residency program, if the student enrolled in the institution, prepaid tuition, paid the assessment, and suffered loss as a result of any of the following:
(1) The closure of the institution;
(2) The institution's failure to pay refunds or charges on behalf of a student to a third party for license fees or any other purposes, or to provide equipment or materials for which a charge was collected within 180 days before the closure of the institution;
(3) The institution's failure to pay or reimburse loan proceeds under a federally guaranteed student loan program as required by law or to pay or reimburse proceeds received by the institution prior to closure in excess of tuition and other costs;
(4) A significant decline in the quality or value of the educational program within the 30-day period before the closure of the institution or, if the decline began before that period, the period of decline determined by the Bureau, to a degree that results in the institution's failure to meet minimum operating or academic standards; and
(5) The student's inability to collect a judgment entered against a qualifying institution for a violation of the Act, subject to all of the following:
(A) The student has reasonably tried, and failed, to collect on the judgment. The Bureau will determine the reasonableness of the effort on a case-by-case basis;
(B) The Bureau receives the student's application within 4 years from the school's closure;
(C) The student has not received reimbursement or forgiveness from any other source.
(b) A student whose total charges were paid by a third-party payer is not eligible to make a claim.
Upon registration, students receive access to a local housing directory containing a list of possible housing opportunities in Marin County. Tamalpa Institute is not responsible for your housing. It is the student's responsibility to contact and set up their housing situation. The housing list is to assist you as much as possible with your housing needs during your studies at the Institute. Tamalpa Institute does not have any affiliation, written or verbal agreements with the people listed in our housing list. The current cost of renting a room in Marin County ranges from $600 $1500 per month.
Attendance, Leave Of Absence, Assessment And Grading Policies
Students are expected to attend classes as scheduled as they would be expected to be present for work. Absences and tardiness will be recorded. Students failing to maintain satisfactory attendance will be counseled by the Director. If attendance fails to improve, the school director, acting at the discretion of the school management, may dismiss a student for unsatisfactory attendance. Re-admittance may be permitted if the cause of unsatisfactory attendance has been corrected. Makeup class work may be arranged by the student with approval of the instructor.
The progress or grading system by which a student can be evaluated and compared with another taking the same course is Pass / Fail. A certificate of completion will be issued upon satisfactory completion of the course. It is expected that you attend all sessions unless there is an emergency. Each day has its own unique life in the training, and the work, as we present it, is developmental so each day leads specifically into the next. Also, as an important member of a group learning environment, your absence will be felt. If you must miss a session or a day, inform the office and inform another group member who will give this information to the teacher. The information below specifies the minimum attendance requirements for each training:
For all formats of Level 1 and Level 2 Training Programs:
Students must attend 90% of the total hours in each level in order to graduate.
Leave of Absence: Students enrolled in our training programs are permitted to take a leave of absence that amounts to a maximum 15% of the total amount of hours of each program. If a students exceeds this maximum, he or she will be advised to leave the program and re-apply for the next training. Refunds are prorated.
If a student has a problem with a teacher or another student, he/she should first address the issue with the appropriate party. If a satisfactory resolution is not met, an active listening session between the parties with a mediator will be held upon request.
If a student has a problem with the training program the student should deliver a verbal or written statement of his/her complaint to the office which will be reviewed and answered by the Assistant Director, within one week of the complaint.
If complaints are not resolved satisfactorily, students can appeal to the Bureau of Private Postsecondary Education (BPPE). See address and phone above.
A resource library containing books, articles, periodicals, videos, papers and dissertations on the topic of expressive arts and related fields is available to students throughout the year. Students are encouraged to borrow these materials to complement their education.
Tamalpa Institute maintains current records of students of the past five years in its office location in San Rafael, CA. These records are available to students during regular office hours. Older records, along with copies of current records, are kept in storage and are available upon request. Tamalpa requests that students make copies of all records submitted to Tamalpa for their own personal use. Tamalpa is not responsible for storing letters of recommendation.
Tamalpa Institute is authorized under Federal law to enroll nonimmigrant foreign students. Tamalpa is approved by the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services for issuance of M-1 vocational student visas for Immersion Format Level 1 & Level 2 training only.
Back to Top ››